Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Back To Summer School '08

Every summer since Nathaniel turned 3, he's gone to the summer program at the elementary school. One of the concerns with autistic children is regression but thankfully, Nathaniel's never experienced it. Because it's a concern for typical autistic children (there's an oxymoron for you), Nathaniel is eligible for, and goes to, the summer program...even though, I really don't think we'd see any regression if he didn't attend. Nevertheless, I love that he gets to go. He's easily bored at home unless I keep his day packed with activities and it helps break up the summer for us. He had a couple of weeks off from school and yesterday marked the beginning of the program. He goes MTW from 9:30-11am and there's only 4 kids that are in his class. The program lasts 4 weeks. Then he'll get about 5 weeks off before he starts kindergarten.

Apparently the hour and a half he spent at school, coupled with having friends over yesterday afternoon and playing in the sweltering heat and humidity, proved too much for the little guy. At 7:30pm last night, he started to fall asleep in the chair so I asked him if he was ready for bed (he typically goes to bed between 8-9pm) and to my surprise he said yes. After I got him all tucked in, I did a couple of quick things around the house and when I went back in not 5 minutes later, this is what I saw....he was already passed out.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Ahh...little guy must have worked hard! He looks so darn cute! I wish Spencer could go to summer school. He and Nate sound so much alike. Spencer would benefit so much from summer school. Nate is blessed to have such good parents to help him along.

Love you new layout and the kids pics. You have some heartbreakers there!

April said...

What a cute picture. Don't you just love it when they get so tired they just crash?