Monday, July 21, 2008

My Favorite Meal of the Week:
Crock Pot BBQ Pulled Pork

While I don't normally post much about it, I love to cook and bake. I'm thinking about maybe posting some recipes here and there when I try something new that's a big hit.

When we went to the fair a couple of weeks ago, one of the new food vendors this year was BBQ'd pulled pork. It was the absolute best - it wasn't overly salty, had lots of flavor but wasn't too hot, etc. Since then, I've been determined to try this at home but when looking for recipes, I kept running into the "dump a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce into shredded pork". I've made it like that before and neither me or Joe really cared for it. It was too salty and way too overpowering taste wise - you couldn't even taste the pork. I finally came across a recipe that called for McCormick's Slow Cookers BBQ Pulled Pork seasoning packet. I decided to give it a try!! Here's what you want to look for in your spices/seasonings aisle:


The recipe:
PREP TIME: 10 minutes

YOU WILL NEED:


3 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast, well-trimmed or boneless pork loin roast
1 package McCormick® Slow Cookers BBQ Pulled Pork Seasoning
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar

DIRECTIONS:
1. PLACE pork in slow cooker.
2. MIX Seasoning, ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar until blended. Pour over pork. Cover.
3. COOK 8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH. Remove pork from slow cooker.
4. SHRED pork, using 2 forks. Return pork to slow cooker; mix and heat with sauce before serving.

Makes 10 servings.

IMPORTANT:
For best results, do not remove cover during cooking.
This was the exact same seasoning that they used at the fair. And it tasted even better than the fair! I actually used a Boston Butt roast and while it worked well (just fell apart, super moist) it was a little too greasy for my taste. And since you remove the pork, shred it and return it to the drippings in the crockpot, next time I will buy a leaner cut of meat if possible.
Oh yeah, and it makes a TON! I used a roast that was a little less than 3 pounds (had a small bone and a huge hunk of fat) and we ended up with enough for dinner last night, a lunch for Joe for today and dinner for tonight for me and there was still some left over!!

3 comments:

Sheri said...

I honestly just bought this same packet yesterday because I have been wanting to try this for a while and wasn't sure what sauce to use. You made my day by giving some tips and saying how good it was. Thanks!

Ariana Sullivan said...

Please do post recipes when you find one you like!!
Thanks for this recipe- pork is on sale but I never know how in the world to prepare it and this looks awesome.

Anonymous said...

I will definitely have to try this since pulled pork is one of my hubby's favorites! I'm assuming the sauce you prepared is the vinegar based, rather than the sweeter, richer sauce? Being from TX, we have a taste for a different type of BBQ (TX style), than what we're finding further north. At any rate, I will give this a try! Thanks for the recipe!

Brooke